Our Hospital

Our Hospital

After about 75 years at its original location, Buck Animal Hospital moved in 2011 to make way for uptown Waterloo re-development.

The original premises at 36 Erb St had been a veterinary practice since the mid-1930s when Dr Joseph E. Johnson was set up in business by the Seagram family to look after their race horse stable located around Bridgeport Rd and Weber St. He was a renowned horseman who was on retainer but could do private practice when he was not busy there. He lived in the house and had a dispensary at the back.

In 1946 Dr C. Robert Buck graduated from veterinary school and joined Dr Johnson. In 1957 Bob Buck and his wife Trudy (a pharmacist) purchased the property and practice from Dr Johnson. Dr Buck had several associates over the years with the longest serving being Dr Jim Currie who left in 1974. At this time Dr James Coleman joined Dr Buck and not long after Dr Robert Blackburn joined the practice as a summer student in the summer of 1974. Upon graduation in 1975 Dr Blackburn joined Dr Coleman in the purchase of Buck Animal Hospital. Dr Buck went to work for the Ontario Veterinary College at the University of Guelph first in the anatomy department and then in the Dean’s office until his retirement at age 65.

Dr. David Soehner joined the partnership in 1981 until his retirement in 2005. Dr. Linda Sommers joined the practice as a part-time associate in 1986 and became a partner when Dr. Coleman retired at the end of 2000. Since than Dr. Laura Galbraith joined Dr. Sommers in 2015 and they are now have a partnership running Buck Animal Hospital

 

old clinic